Friday, September 30, 2011

Thank you Grey's

Who saw Grey's Anatomy last night? They had a baby with a cleft lip on!! It warms my heart to see the media making light of such a common thing. You wouldn't believe the stares (my cleft mommies do) that we get. It's not like we live in a third world country with under educated people! It's the 21st century America! I'm baffled at how ignorant some people can be.

Donato and I were at Marshall's the other day. We were waiting on line to check out. A woman peeked in on Donato who was in his stroller, like most people who do when they see a small baby. I would of been okay with it had she not stuck her head in and stared at him for a good 30 seconds. I just stood there in disbelief with my mouth open staring at her. Yes lady I know my son looks different but really??? You're gonna stare at him like that and not say anything to me?

If I can get any message out through this blog it's ask when you see a baby with a cleft. More often then not the mother or father will be more then happy to tell you what is going on. I have no problem telling people what that weird looking thing in his mouth is. It's a NAM, it's molding his mouth so we will get better surgical results. I embrace any and all questions when it comes to their clefts. I want to educate the general public about this so maybe one day kids with clefts won't be gawked at.

So thank you Grey's Anatomy for shining some light on this oh so common issue. And ask us people!! We love bragging about how strong and amazing our wide smiled kids are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment