Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The word "no"

The word no simply means, Not any: "there is no excuse". Simple right? Not so much! The word no, to a child means something completely different. It means: maybe if I ask again the answer will change, maybe if I wine a little more she will say yes, maybe if I ask louder the answer will no longer be no, oh wait, how about if I wait a few minutes dad won't say no, and the list goes on and on. We have heard them all. Kids lack patience, they don't like to wait for things, they need instant gratification. The word no does not allow for that. They want it now not in 5 minutes.

As I sit here and type this post I am having a conversation with my 4 1/2 year old about getting her clothes. So fitting considering I am writing about this very topic. I told her no, I am busy, not right now, I will come and get you when I am ready to help you. It has taken me 10 minutes to write this and she has come in here about every other minute.

I guess that's where being able to tell time will come in handy. When I say in 10 minutes it will really be 10 minutes and not every minute. They have no concept of time, there for the word no doesn't really fit into their vocabulary. I guess that is the joy of being a child. Living in a world of yes and living in the moment. I think adults should revisit that world every now and again. Then maybe there won't be so much hate. We need to say yes to the good and no to the bad. We think so much about so many un-important and irrelevant things. We need to take the time to focus on the good things every once in awhile.

Maybe I should take my own advice and stop saying no to my poor little girl who just wants to get dressed? I think so! Hope you all have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment